Why Many Pastors Are Reluctant to Use a Church Consultant…
“Pastor, do you know what our church really needs?” This is a question that can make a Pastor cringe, because the answer is typically, “Yes...yes, I do know. I know everything our church needs...from carpet replacement to new ministries. Yes, I know what our church needs.” Unfortunately, many Pastors feel that hiring a church consultant would only compound this nagging question and add to their already busy pastoral “to-do” list.
The fact is, identifying issues and concerns is merely step #1 of a church consultant’s role. The more important task of a consultant is to provide solutions to church problems. But the above issue is only one concern that gives pastors pause when considering whether or not to utilize the services of a church consultant. Here are the Top 5 fears that may be keeping a Pastor from hiring a Church Consultant:
- Fear in Finances. Many Pastors are taxed with making certain that all of the requirements of their church budget are met. So many things that need to be purchased…so little money to purchase them with. In fact, we’ve yet to consult with any church whose abundance of finances outweigh its needs. So why take on the expense of hiring a church consultant? Because an experienced consultant will not only provide solutions to offset consulting fees, but will also provide long-term solutions that will increase giving perpetually.
- Fear of Change. Everyone has trepidation when it comes to change. The 30-year church veterans do...elders and deacons do...and yes, even Pastors. But what if that change also came with immediate and long-term benefits? What if a church could implement an additional means for tithes and offerings that would allow a wider demographic of parishioners to give? What if your church had a website that would compel its visitors to visit your church? On the other hand, what if your church was currently doing something that actually repelled potential parishioners? Wouldn’t this be valuable information? If your church is struggling, remember Einstein’s definition of insanity: “Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
- Fear of Competency Exposure. Too many Pastors believe that if they don't have an abundance of knowledge in all aspects of their church, their members will find a church who has a Pastor that does. This concept is not only unrealistic, but it’s also unbiblical. The last time we checked, God is the only One who is omniscient (all-knowing). We’ve seen it over and over again: Pastors who hire a Church Consultant are showing not only their church—but their community—that humility is one of their key strengths.
- Fear of Technology. Because of the many hats a typical Pastor wears, most simply do not have the time to stay current with technology. However, technology is a major player in today’s successful churches. Hiring an experienced church consultant who will make technology simple to understand is key in getting your church wider exposure.
- Fear of Inter-Dependency. Romans 12:5 tells us, “…Since we are all one body in Christ, we belong to each other, and each of us needs all the others.” The fact is, enlisting the help of a Church Consultant tells the congregation, “I don’t know everything and I'm not afraid to enlist the help of a professional.” W.H. Auden may have said it best: “We are all here on earth to help others. What on earth the others are here for I don’t know.”